We have had a busy 2 weeks back in Arusha! There are new medical students, residents, and doctors in town, so we have been showing people around and going out for lots of fun dinners! Katie left to return to Minnesota last week, so our house feels quieter and we are missing her.
At the hospital I have been switching between medicine and peds. We've been seeing everything from epilepsy, to mysterious plerual effusions, to a child with suspected anthrax from eating a dead cow!
Tomorrow I am leaving for Cape Town, South Africa! I am taking an early 8 hour bus ride to Dar Es Salaam (the capital of Tanzania), spending the night in Dar, and then flying to Cape Town via Johannesburg. I am meeting Ann and Grant (my classmates who went to Zanzibar with us) and Justin (another classmate who has been working at a hospital in Cape Town). I will have 9 days to explore the city and surrounding area and am looking forward to seeing a new part of Africa.
Below I have posted 2 videos that Phil took when he was here. The first is from the top of Kilimanjaro! Please remember that when this was filmed I had just climbed a mountain and my brain was deprived of precious oxygen! The second video is of the street that I live on in Arusha. Phil filmed it while we were driving up the road and I hadn't planned on posting it, but my parents saw it and thought it was "very illustrative" of where I live. Ilboru is one of the nicest dirt roads in town and I have really grown to love it! You may need to give the videos a few minutes to buffer before playing them.
Enjoy and I'll have many more stories and pictures to share when I'm home from Cape Town in 2 weeks!
Standing on the "Roof of Africa!"
Ilboru Road...home sweet home!
No comments:
Post a Comment